The Neurodiversity Lecture Series #1 – An Introduction to Autism
Our Principal Jen Weeks kicked off the first TED style talk of The Neurodiversity Lecture Series on 26th April, discussing an ‘Introduction to Autism’.
What’s covered in this Lecture #1?
- The History of Autism
- Dyad of Impairment – DSM-V
- Theories – Theory of Mind, Central Coherence, Executive Functioning
- Impairments in Social Imagination
- How this impacts on day to day life
- How can we optimise the learning environment?
- SALT areas of intervention
- Speech, language & communication needs
- Identifying the lagging skills
- Communicating basic needs
- Understanding social situations
- What are Comic Strip Conversations?
- OT areas of intervention
- Emotional Regulation
- Anxiety management
- Problem solving
- Other Functional skills
Download the full PDF PowerPoint slides here.
What if I missed it?