Stage 1 – Initial referral either by parent(s)/carer(s), local authority or advocate acting on the parent(s)’ behalf
- We request as much information as possible including educational, medical and any safeguarding reports to assist with the decision on whether to proceed with the referral.
- We work with parents/carers and external agencies to ensure that decisions on whether to offer an assessment visit are based on complete, accurate, reliable and up to date information.
- We may visit the young person in their current placement or at home if they are not currently placed at a school
Stage 2 – School based assessment visit
- When a decision has been made that the reports indicate that the young person meets the admission criteria and there are places available in the relevant key stage, an assessment visit to the school will be arranged
- During the visit the young person will experience a range of assessments and, where appropriate, activities to ensure the young person’s needs can be met
- The school may request an additional assessment visit
Stage 3 – Transition into school
- Following successful assessment visits a placement will be offered
- Any placement offered will be subject to the full cost of the placement unless there has been prior agreement between the placing authority and the school
- Following acceptance of the place and confirmation of funding, a transition plan will be agreed
- Sometimes, a graduated transition and reduced timetable is required in order to re-engage the young person in learning
- Each young person is supported by relevant staff as determined in the transition plan
- A Post Entry Review is booked with parents and other stakeholders which will be approx a 6 week time frame, this is where a decision is made about whether the placement will continue and any additional resources are needed
We recommend you read our full Admissions Policy, which can be found here:
We recommend you phone or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our admissions process or criteria.